Dental Implant Aftercare
If you have received treatment for dental implants in Dallas, then it is significant to follow dental implant aftercare instructions for the success of the treatment and avoid implant infection.
In this article, we share what you should do as implant aftercare:
Keeping Clean Dental Implants after Treatment
Here is how you should manage cleaning your mouth immediately after receiving implant surgery:
- Keeping the mouth as clean as possible is essential for successful oral surgery
- Starting the evening of your surgery, you should begin brushing your other teeth as usual with a toothbrush. Brushing the surgery site should be avoided for the first few days, but once soreness has subsided, you can begin to gently clean it with a toothbrush
- In the first week, hot salt mouthwashes (a cup of hot water with a teaspoon of salt) are quite good for healing. Make sure the mouthwash is not scalding hot, then hold the hot mouthwash over the surgical site until it cools down. Repeat as many times as you can
- For as long as possible, keep food away from the surgical site in your mouth. Rinse after each meal to keep the area clean
- It is recommended that you refrain from smoking until the wound has healed, as smoking slows down the healing process in the mouth
Following these instructions, you can greatly reduce your risk of developing a dental implant infection.
Things to Avoid After Dental Implant Surgery
As much as it is important to keep the mouth clean, it is also significant to avoid certain things so that the surgical site remains protected as it heals.
Only drink cold beverages and wait till the local anaesthetic has worn off before eating. For the first day, avoid hot liquids or food, and do not swill fluids over the area of the surgery. You may feel the urge to feel the implant site with your tongue or fingertips but try not to disrupt the region by doing this.
For the first 48 hours, avoid intense exercise (e.g., jogging or going to the gym). You should take a soft diet. For example, ice cream, smoothies, yoghurt, applesauce, mashed potatoes, etc.
Following Dentist’s Advice
After your dental implant has been placed, your dentist will provide advice and instructions, including keeping clean dental implants and avoiding implant infection. You are most likely to be prescribed medication for swelling and antibiotics.
To heal successfully and benefit from the surgery, you should follow all such advice and complete the course of antibiotics if prescribed. While swelling and soreness are normal after placement of dental implants, if the issues become too bothersome, do not hesitate to have a follow-up with your dentist.
Proper dental implant aftercare can ensure that your implant surgery concludes successfully and with the least possible discomfort for you.
Randall Dentistry provides quality and affordable treatment for dental implants in Dallas. To learn more about our services or book your appointment, please call or visit us.