What is a Dental Flipper? — Cost & Benefits
Nowadays, there are several restorative dental treatments available to resolve the issue of missing teeth; thanks to the advancement in the field of dentistry. One such treatment is with a flipper tooth. In this article, we discuss what is a dental flipper, its benefits, cost, and more.
What is a Flipper Tooth?
A flipper tooth is an attractive prosthetic tooth alternative, commonly known as an acrylic removable partial denture. It usually has one (single flipper tooth) or more prosthetic teeth attached to it and rests on your lower jaw or fits along your oral palate.
Dental Flipper Vs Partial Denture
You must be thinking that if a dental flipper is a type of partial denture, then how do both differ from each other.
Partial dentures (also known as partials) are dentures or fake teeth for those who are missing a few teeth. Partial dentures are designed to fit over a patient’s remaining teeth. These are well-known for being more comfortable than complete dentures and having more customisation choices.
Patients with one to four missing teeth can potentially benefit from flippers. They are similar to acrylic partials in form and construction, but they are typically smaller and use far less acrylic material. They are typically employed as a temporary solution while more extensive dental procedures are being carried out. Flippers can also be made out of valplast material.
Benefits of a Flipper Tooth
A flipper tooth placement is one of the best removable and temporary tooth replacements you can receive. The procedure also has a high success rate. Here is how a flipper tooth is beneficial:
- Among the several alternatives available for a denture, this is considered to be one of the most affordable ones. For example, a single flipper tooth will cost you only 25% of the cost of a dental implant
- A dentist can quickly create your flippers since the process is much less time-consuming. In some cases, patients can receive the flipper tooth the same or the next day
- If you are getting a temporary flipper tooth, then it can help your natural or existing teeth from moving into the gap left behind the missing tooth. This helps in stabilising the rest of the teeth until you get a permanent replacement for the missing one
- Since the appearance of flippers is quite natural, it is an appealing option for covering the gaps caused by missing teeth
- A flipper tooth is removable so it offers convenience to patients as they can remove and replace them when needed
Cost of a Flipper Tooth
One of the most affordable prosthetic tooth options is a flipper tooth. However, prices vary based on the number of teeth you will be replacing with flippers and the materials utilised to make it. It will typically cost between $300 and $500. You may, however, be required to pay additional fees for periodic adjustments and maintenance.
Dr. Drew Randall provides restorative dental treatments in Dallas, including the placement of flippers. Learn more by contacting us.